Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

cement dust..red and irritated..skin around his eyes is burning

My husband works in construction and today he mixed cement. Although he wore his safety glasses he got cement dust around the eyes and although he has washed his eyes they are very red and irritated. The skin around his eyes is burning and very unconfortable. He has put "Refresh" eye drops and "redness relief" eyedrops from Bosch & Lomb and we have put neosporin on the skin around the eyes which is a bit swallen. Is there anything else you recommend?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

cement dust is very alkaline and can cause a lot of eye damage fairly quickly.

Dr. Rick :

When you look at his eye how red would your say it is, with one being normal and 4 being the worst you can imagine an eye ever looking.....

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

hi.

Customer :

yes I'm available to chat, I would say the redness in his eye is about a 3

Dr. Rick :

ok. How is his vision?

Customer :

his vision is fine although he says one of his eyes is a little blury

Dr. Rick :

And how long ago did this happen, how much cement dust got in his eye do you think?

Dr. Rick :

That is good news.

Customer :

He got home about 1:00 p.m. pacific time and he worked from about 7am

Customer :

The dust he got was whatever filtrated from or around the safety glasses so its hard to say

Dr. Rick :

Ok, well since his vision is OK and it was quite some time ago that this happened and, most likely, he didn't get a lot of the dust in his eyes I think he will be OK with home treatment.

Customer :

What home treatment do you recommend. Do the "refresh" eye drops work and the neosporin on the skin around the eye will do or is there other things we can do?

Dr. Rick :

You have already done the right thing by washing out his eye and face. I would get some refresh PM, or similar eye ointment, and goop up his eye. Then send him to bed with ice packs for comfort along with your pain med du-jour that you have around the house. Don't use any drops that say they are for "getting the red out" as this will just irritate things more.

Dr. Rick :

The neosporin is good....just try not to get it in the eyes as it can be irritating even though it will not really cause any damage.

Dr. Rick :

when he goes into REM sleep tonight he may wake up from the pain of his eyeball moving back and forth....that is common and not a cause for concern.

Customer :

ok can I get the "eye ointment" at Rite Aid stores? Pain medecine can that be Advil?

Dr. Rick :

I would expect that his eye should feel better by tomorrow and be back to normal no later then Monday AM

Dr. Rick :

advil will work and rite aid should have refresh PM or an ointment like it. They are marketed as dry eye nighttime treatments.

Dr. Rick :

If things seem like they are getting worse or if things aren't better by Monday AM you should have an ophthalmologist take a look at him.

Customer :

Should he continue to use the refresh eyedrops tomorrow am and on as directed?

Dr. Rick :

that would be OK. He could also use the ointment as it will provide longer relief but at the cost of blurring his vision as it is a thick goo....

Dr. Rick :

And I'm sure he want to be able to watch the Chicago Bears get beat tomorrow :o)

Customer :

ok, thank you I will go get the thick goo....thank you.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Have a great weekend. Go Pack Go (I'm from Wisconsin, sorry I can't help myself)

Customer :

Yeah :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

bye

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
.