Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eye feels like it is going to pop out. It is only on one

My eye feels like it is going to pop out. It is only on one side. The whole left side of my head to include the top part of my neck hurts. this happens everyday, sometines twice a day. What does that mean?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

How old are you? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine? Does it hurt to comb your hair or touch your temple area? Does you jaw get tired when chewing your food? Are you having any general aches or pains?

Dr. Rick :

Has your vision been affected at all?

Customer :

34. I have asthma and I take verapamil. It hurts on my temple. If i apply pressure to my temple it releives the pain until I release pressure on my temple.

Customer :

my vision is blurry in the left eye

Customer :

it hurt to hold the left eye open

Dr. Rick :

You are young to be suffering from a condition called Giant Cell Arteritis, which would be a concern. I would not put this high on my DDx list in your case. Have you ever had shingles or can you see any skin lesions in the affected area?

Dr. Rick :

When you say it hurts to keep the eye open do you mean it is sensitive to light?

Customer :

no skin lesions, i have taken a eye field test and they say i am losing my perifial (i guess u spell it like that) vision in that left eye. yes it is sensitive to light. if i take hot showers, sometimes it releives the pain until i get out then it starts to hurt again. it hurts so bad i cry sometimes. they gave me some medicind called zomig but it doesnt work everytime

Customer :

sometimes i take an excedrine asprin with the zomig and it takes the pain away

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that your primary problem is migraine headaches, as you are being treated for. However, I believe it would be helpful to take a close look at your sinus', perhaps with an MRI or a complete exam by an ENT physician. Also, since you have been told you are loosing some peripheral vision I would have a complete eye exam by another ophthalmologist for a second opinion about that.

Dr. Rick :

There are also other meds that can be used to decrease the frequency of your headaches and also stop them if you can treat them right as they are beginning. I would consult with your neurologist about them.

Customer :

i have taken a MRI and there are white spot on my brain on that keft side, but it was never expalined what it was. i have an appointment with a retina specilaist. so the pressure behind my eye is from the migtanes. also my left side of my nosr gets stopped up when all this happens.

Customer :

so i should also set an appoint with a ENT doctor

Customer :

I have seen 4 opthamoligist for this and all get the same results

Dr. Rick :

A complete exam by a retina doc won't hurt a bit; I'd go ahead and keep that appointment. I would bet, however, that the eye pressure is part of the migraines. I get migraines too, although nowhere as bad as yours, and mine always involve pain/pressure behind my left eye.

Dr. Rick :

Maybe wait on the ENT for the moment and see if your neurologist can get you on some other meds to better control these headaches and associated pain

Dr. Rick :

The white spot on MRI may be what they call an UBO (unknown bright object). Everyone is allowed one of them without worry.....

Customer :

so what would be the next step after i see the retina and they get the same result. they all tell me that they do not know exactly what is causing my vision lost. and i have 3 white spots on the MRI, 1 in the front on left side, 1 in back, and 1 on the right side

Dr. Rick :

That many white spots brings to mind MS.....which can also cause optic nerve damage/vision loss. Has anyone mentioned that to you?

Customer :

no they have not

Dr. Rick :

it is something to ask them......

Customer :

ok i will

Customer :

and what is MS

Dr. Rick :

multiple sclerosis.....not something you want

Customer :

ok..thank you

Dr. Rick :

wikipedia has a good page on it:

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can tell you tonight?

Customer :

that is all thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Sorry to bring up such a scary diagnosis possibility....

Customer :

thanks..guess i will find out next week

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you :o)

Customer :

thanks

Dr. Rick :

Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest