Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a blood vessel in my right eye that just seemed to

I have a blood vessel in my right eye that just seemed to be presenting itself for approximately the last 4 months. Visine or other "cosmetic" measures have not tamed this thing, and now I'm getting sensations like my right eye lid is twitching or shutting regularly over the past 2 weeks with some swelling on the lateral/outer lid occasionally. Should I be worried, or am I just a big baby? I just don't want to lose my vision and this blood vessel really stands out (no, I won't be audtitioning for any horror movie parts, but this kind of bugs me because my vision has really gone downhill over the past year, very rapidly).

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

ok. The eyelid twitching is nothing to be worried about. That is called myokymia

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

Yeah, but the sensation comes with what appears to be a slightly decreased visual field. (Not like the ones my kids with CVI have, but with the L eye covered, things are slightly blurry.

Dr. Rick :

Normally a sensation like you are talking about is nothing to worry about. Concerning this blood vessel....can you take a picture of it?

Dr. Rick :

Visine will not work as this just constricts blood vessels for about 15 minutes and then, when the drop wears off, it comes back worse

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

This seems to be getting worse as the weeks go by. I haven't gone to the Dr. because I hate doing so, and wasting money, but thought that this might help me make the decision as to whether to seek some more "drastic measures".

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't worry about the lid thing.

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

not really sure if it actually is a lid thing. I take meds for ADD, but they've never had this kind of effect on me. Not sure why the blood vessel stands out like it does. Could there be some kind of tumor?

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

This has been bugging me for much longer than I wrote, but I'm so busy at work (and I had MVP for insurance last year) that I just tried to ignore it.

Dr. Rick :

The "large" blood vessel may be part of a pinguecula or pterygium. Tumors would be rare, however large intraocular tumors can have feeder vessels that can be seen from the outside......once again, you would have a better chance of winning the lottery then having a tumor like that in your eye

Dr. Rick :

If you can take a picture, put it on your desktop I can give you instructions on one way to upload it to me......that would be the best way for me to tell you about this vessel

Dr. Rick :

here is how to upload a picture:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

So you're saying that it's no big deal, and perhaps something that happens to people my age? Although I'm pretty old to some people, I still can't retire for a long time (maybe even 15 years if I can last that long). I still need to be able to keep the little kids I work with safe. Bad eyesight is not an option.

Dr. Rick :

the eyelid twitching is no big deal....do not worry about it.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of a vessel that doesn't shrink much from visine would be a pinguecula....once again, nothing to worry about and nothing that needs treatment. A picture would help me to be sure what it is....

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

Oops, sorry, didn't read what you sent. I'm not sure if my phone (the only good camera I have) could get an accurate pic of this, but I can try.

Dr. Rick :

If you are concerned a visit to an ophthalmologist should be able to put your worries to rest

Dr. Rick :

ok.

Dr. Rick :

I'll wait. I had one person send a cell phone picture and it worked out pretty good

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

I'll try to do the picture thing, but not sure it will give you anymore information.

JACUSTOMER-by52urai- :

Can't get a good shot so guess I wasted part of that $22. I just keep forgetting to call a Dr. and thought this might save me some time. I guess it was kind of stupid and am sorry for wasting your time also. Thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick :

You did not waste my time....although I did miss a little bit of the Packers kicking Falcon butt working on your question :;)

Dr. Rick :

Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k