Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Today, I felt a gritty sensation in my eye along with partial

Today, I felt a gritty sensation in my eye along with partial blurring in that eye. The eye feels "gritty." I washed the eye out with saline solution and it partially helped. The eye does not hurt, just feels very uncomfortable. Thank you. Monique

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

Hi Dr. Rick

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

Yes I am

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

I am ready to chat.

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

Dr. Rick, I am ready to chat with you.

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Do your eyes itch or burn at all?

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

The right eye burns

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

Both eyes have been watering for a few days.

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

also itchy

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of your symptoms is a group of issues. Not all of them are present in all cases but usually there is some sort of allergic component, dry eyes and, very often, blepharitis. The good news is that you can treat all of them at once at home.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

That is good.

Dr. Rick :

Give the baby shampoo a few weeks to "kick in". Also, you can use the artificial tears as often as necessary without worry.

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

Thank you so much for your advise, and I will do these things, and if they don't help, I will get an eye exam soon.

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

What causes this condition?

Dr. Rick :

just the normal build up of bacteria on your eyelids. Also as we age we make less tears, especially after menopause

JACUSTOMER-b6gt0o59- :

You have really helped me, and I thank you so much. Have a good evening!

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k