Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

all of a sudden my husband has a blood red eye. His right eye.

all of a sudden my husband has a blood red eye. His right eye. He also has glaucoma. Is there any relation or should he seek medical help right away?
Is it all of his eye or a part of his eye with the blood? How is his vision? Has it changed with this change? Any pain? Any inflammation anywhere?
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist.
Has the eye that is red had glaucoma surgery, such as trabelectomy? Is the eye painful or the vision affected? If "no" to the above questions, does the eye look bright red, like a "piece of raw meat"?
Are you still there? I'm online and available to help you now.
You might have stepped away from your computer. The most common cause of a painless, red, "nasty" looking eye that is noticed by looking in the mirror or by a friend is a subconjunctival hemorrhage

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest