Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hello dr. rick you have answered previous questions well i

hello dr. rick you have answered previous questions well i just got back from wilmer long wait to see doc anyway he put all the drops in then found i had a contact in bad eye on top of glasses i wondered why double was getting better here it was contact with glasses was making the vision i do have duller so he took contact out and double was little worse so now i have three options wear contact in bad eye with glasses which makes double seem better but doc says double will not get anybetter this way he says if i want this to do it second option go natural with only glasses which he recommends since it eventually get better as he says my eyes are straight and when i do look i have to move my eyes very slightly to get the image alighned and last another strabismus surgery which i have opted for the second let it come together naturally only put in contact in bad eye if drives me too crazy also i asked him do i have irretractable diplopia which i guess means it won't getter any better and he said no which i was very glad to hear a positive remark go see him in another three months so what do you think?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Thanks for requesting me. I'm glad the folks at Wills treated you well -- I knew that they would.

Customer :

what do you think of the things i have told you by the way i go to johns hopkins

Dr. Rick :

Hi

Dr. Rick :

I like what the Wilmer eye doc said. It is good that you are mosty straight and he feels it will get better with time. Since you are only a few degrees away from fusing the image I agree that it would be wise to give it more time before rushing to do anything else.

Dr. Rick :

If it doesn't improve after a few more months or so you have lost nothing by waiting......

Dr. Rick :

After all you have been through it is a "good thing" that you have enough vision left in your eye that you're having to deal with this issue at all :o)

Customer :

i don;t really feel that way i feel if it would be black i would't have problehem with double do you think i made right decision in choosing glasses only and let it heal naturallyalso do not rush into surgery

Dr. Rick :

absolutely! You made a very good decision -- one that I most likely would have made in your place. And, while I know that eye is giving you issues it is always better to have some vision just in case something should happen to your "good" eye.

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, I am glad to see that you seem to be in good hands, have a number of backup choices if needed and seem to be on your way toward single vision again in the future.

Customer :

i hope your right at least i don't have irretractable double i guess that means there is something that could be done

Dr. Rick :

yup. And if it can be done the folks at Wilmer can do it

Customer :

now i am trying to get that contact out of my bad eye i do not understand how it got in there as i came home and both contacts were in case

Dr. Rick :

After all your eye has gone through cataract formation was a forgone conclusion. They also form naturally in everyone as we age.

Customer :

i did have cataract surgery i thoght at first it was the iol that came out but was not the case it i guess was one of my contacts very strange though i would like to wear glasses only because with my vision its hard to put ot in and take it out i am glad you think very highly that this issue will be resolved

Dr. Rick :

I do believe, from what you have told me and from what you said the Wills Eye Hospital MD told you, that you have an excellent chance of all this clearing up and you regaining single vision in the future.

Customer :

again i am going to wilmer at johns hopkins i guess it is better for the eyes to adjust naturally with the brain adjusting than rushing into surgery

Dr. Rick :

Oops.....Wilmer, Wills....they both start with a "W"; Guess I'm getting old and can't keep my University programs straight anymore :)

Dr. Rick :

If they will adjust on their own that is always better then surgery. If they don't, then you can always have surgery but it is best not to rush into the knife.

Customer :

so you are with me let brain adjust naturally instead of rushing surgery

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Very much so.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest