Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My left eye has been partially red at outer corner going in

Customer Question

My left eye has been partially red at outer corner going in towards my eye for 3 -4 days , went to eye doctor at Walmart and he said it was dry and was given lubricant drops. Its not working and I am really concerned now because it's not going away....do i have something big to worry about? What could it be that I have?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 3 years ago.
A likely cause of your symptoms is cunjuctivitis. This can be caused by allergy, foreign body in eye, or infection. You can try using Visine eye drops in addition to lubricant eye drops to see if it helps. if the symptoms persist or you have additional symptoms such as pain, burning, itching etc, you will need to see a doctor for examination as you may need antibiotic drops for it.
Regards.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist and I do not agree with Dr. Singh.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Visine eye drops will just irritate your eyes more. Do not use them.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Give this treatment at least 3 weeks to "kick in". If you are still having problems make an appointment with an ophthalmologist (eye MD) as your problems are beyond the ability of an optometrist to diagnose and treat.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.