Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My Boston is 12 human years old and is blind in one eye and

My Boston is 12 human years old and is blind in one eye and nearly blind in the other. My concern is the blind eye which stays red and clouded. It may be ulcerated since the eye scabs over and once the scab is removed, slight bleeding occurs. I have been removing the scab almost daily because I'm worried the eye will dry out from the inability to close. Once I remove the scab I apply a drop of castor oil to moisten the eye.

Is there something I can do for "buddy's" condition? Should I stop removing the scab to see if the eye will heal? Is the castor oil a bad idea?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I would use refresh PM or another human eye lubricating ointment rather then the caster oil. It will last longer and it is sterile.

Dr. Rick :

Also, I would just leave the scab alone so it can try to heal. If the eye starts to bother you dog you could talk to your vet and see if she could remove the eye. This is a fairly straight forward surgery and may make him a lot more comfortable as well as remove any risk of infection.

Dr. Rick :

hi. Welcome to the chat room.

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Customer :

yes, still hear

Customer :

so I should leave the scab alone even though the eye cannot close with it on there?

Dr. Rick :

Is this the blind eye?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

Does your vet think you dog is strong enough to tolerate general anesthesia for 30 minutes or so and the stress of having the eye removed? If so, that might just be the best way to go. If the eye is unable to close infection will be inevitable

Customer :

I have not taken him to the vet for this condition yet. The eye can close only if the scab is removed. Can the vet treat the other eye that still has some vision. Maybe remove the caterac?

Dr. Rick :

Concerning the blind eye removing the scab also increases the risk of infection so, I agree, talk to you vet about other options. Until that time, keep removing the scab so the eye can close and use the sterile ointment I mentioned above

Dr. Rick :

Yes. The cataract can be removed

Customer :

Then I could have both surgeries done at the same time

Dr. Rick :

There are veterinary ophthalmologists that do this sort of work.....regular vets don't do it as it requires specialized, expensive equipment.

Customer :

ok. so I need to bring him to an eye specialist or can my vet do this?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it might be able to be done at the same time, however the vet ophthalmologist might want to do it on different days to lower the risk of any infection in the newly operated cataract surgery eye.

Dr. Rick :

Has to be a vet ophthalmologist for the cataract surgery. A regular vet should be able to remove the blind eye

Dr. Rick :

I did a dog cataract once early in my career. Their eyes are different then humans making some parts of the surgery harder for me, but we got it done.

Customer :

ok then. any other tips or suggestions?

Dr. Rick :

Nope. I think you are on the right track. I wish your Boston many more years of happy living.

Customer :

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help. Have a good weekend

Customer :

Brian

Dr. Rick :

My Pleasure. Enjoy watching the Packers kick Falcon tail feathers today :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k