Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what can i do to get rid of dark circles under my eyes

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

hi

Customer :

hello

Dr. Rick :

That is usually caused by some type of allergies, maybe dry eyes, and possibly bleparitis. These can all be addressed with the same at home treatment. Also, getting more sleep can sometimes help.

Customer :

oyeah i forgot my wife bought some snore strips that i used last sunday night and i did sleep better

Customer :

but is there anything i can do to remove

Dr. Rick :

to remove what? The end of your sentence was cut off :)

Customer :

the dark cicles i work shift work for now until im recalled from layoff

Dr. Rick :

Let me give you a "handout" on a treatment that may work for you. It is written for people with dry eyes, allergies etc so just ignore that :) I think the lid scrubs may help.

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Now, if this -- combined with more sleep -- doesn't help in a few weeks you might consider having an ophthalmologist take a look at you. It could be that a little "nip-n-tuck" of your lower eyelids and orbital fat pads might be the way to solve the problem. Of course, you would want to make sure your insurance covered this as it could be a little pricey otherwise.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer :

well it certainly some like what i have every morning with the white stuff in both my eyes i'm going to try the baby wash

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I believe it may help. Have a great weekend and enjoy watching the Packers kick some Falcon butt ;)

Customer :

Go Bears Thanks

Dr. Rick :

Ouch!

Dr. Rick :

:)