Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

very bad headaches and recently passed..cancerous

After a visit to opthalmologist i lrearned i have a leesion 2.5mm and have been referred to liverpool university hospital for a second opinion, I have very bad headaches and recently passed out for just a few miniutes, i am worried this may be cancerous
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Where is this 2.5mm lesion? Has your vision been affected? What medical problems do you have and what medicine do you take?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have a history of cancer? Also, do you remember what the specialist said the lesion looked like?

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

The lesion is on the back of the eye, vision not affected , medical problems stomach problem having camera next week for stomach no history of cancer only pre cancerous cells womb, 10 years ago take omeprazole for stomach and now tramadol for headaches. dont recall that the specialist said what it looked like. not available to chat

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

Hello, do you have an answer?

Dr. Rick :

hi.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of lesions/pigments etc that can occur on and in the retina. I would not jump to the conclusion right away that it is a cancer.

Dr. Rick :

Was the doctor who noticed the retinal issue an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Dr. Rick :

just type your response and hit "send" or "reply" On my end it looks like you are jumping in and out of the chat room.

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

he was

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

ophthalmologist

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

OK. My sub specialty is diseases of the retina. Do you remember if the 2.5mm measurement was the diameter of the lesion or the thickness of it, as measured with an ultrasound (A scan or B scan)?

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

sorry cant remember think it was diameter, no scan just arange drops to look in back of the eye.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is good. I would expect that you have an appointment with someone in the retina department at the University. They will be able to tell you what is going on during your visit. At this point I would not rush to believing it is a tumor, cancer or anything horrible......it could be something like a nevi (birthmark).

Dr. Rick :

When do you see the sub specialist at the University?

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

no appointment yet I am worried because my headaches are daily and i passed out on tues,

Dr. Rick :

It would be very rare for any intracranial process to get into the eye....I would not assume that the headaches are caused by a brain cancer etc that is also in your eye. Also, if your doctor was worried that your headaches and passing out was due to something going on in your head I would think she would have ordered a MRI or your head and neck.

JACUSTOMER-g7g2nof2- :

ok thankyou for your help

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest