Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

pink eye..During this time there was no itching, but a good deal

I recently was diagnosed with pink eye (five days ago). During this time there was no itching, but a good deal of pain and swelling.

Now, the swelling is almost completely gone, as is the pain. Minor discomfort from the ordeal is still in the eye.

However, my vision in that eye is still impaired. It looks like I am looking through smoked glass. No distortion, and color is fine.

Is this normal symptoms of pink eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. It sounds like you are having tear film problems after your bout of pink eye. This can cause vision problems sorta like getting oil on your windshield and then smearing it around with your wipers -- blurry, warped like looking through broken glass.

Dr. Rick :

I think you should try some over the counter tear replacement drops 4 to 6x/day as well as treating yourself for blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.