Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

question about my left eye..my sister noticed I had blood in my eye

Good morning
I would like to ask a question about my left eye which has blood in the corner. 2 days ago I went to the beach and I didn't wear sunglasses all the time. Then my sister noticed I had blood in my eye. Maybe some blood vessel burst. Do you thing I should go to see the doctor or ophthamologist , or it will heal itself. I don't have any pain, or blurry vision. I have very sensitive eyes.
Thank you
Helen

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

JACUSTOMER-k4dcn2q3- :

Good morning, yes I am able to chat

Dr. Rick :

Morning, eh? It is 7:15pm here in Wisconsin. :)

Dr. Rick :

anyway you are describing a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

It is the middle of winter here.......guess that makes it summer on your end of the planet.

JACUSTOMER-k4dcn2q3- :

Ahhhhh so sorry, I didn't realise you are so far - for some reason I thought I talk to doctors here in Australia - funny. Yes you right, here is nice and sunny and there is nice and cold . Thank you for your answer, I was little bit worry - because it hapenned 2 days ago and it didn't go away and to see a doctor /i was scared that he will take my eye out - hehe/

Dr. Rick :

Na. You're gonna be just fine. Nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Hopefully someday I can get to your country. I'd love to see the Southern Cross with my own eyes. Anyway, it is always a pleasure to help my friends from Down Under. :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k