Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i am experiencing considerable visual distortion in one eye

i am experiencing considerable visual distortion in one eye only. everything appears twisted. lines are not longer straight and all objects appear distorted. it is impossible to read with that eye only. the other eye is fine. i have never worn glasses
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

hi

Dr. Rick :

how long has this been going on for?

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

yes, i can talk about it

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

perhaps i can give you more info

Dr. Rick :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

i have noticed it for some time, lets say for more than a year or two but it was not very pronounced or bothersome. it seems to have become much stronger within the past few weeks

Dr. Rick :

You are having problems with an area of your retina called the macula. This small piece of retina is used for all your daily activities -- watching tv, reading, driving etc. The fact that you are noticing distortion, twisting, bending and can't read with that eye localized your pathology here.

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

also i do get migraine headaches fairly often, though not all the time. lets say on average once every 2 weeks

Dr. Rick :

Since it has been present for a long time and is just recently getting worse the most likely cause for your macular issues would be an epiretinal membrane.

Dr. Rick :

This sounds much different then the bilateral visual aura's associated with migraine headaches.....

Dr. Rick :

the other cause for you symptoms could be bleeding in your macula from either age related macular degeneration, inflammation or possibly systemic disease such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

OK i read your answer. i can also say that the distortion seems to be centered somewhat at the point wherever i am trying to focus or look, although it does extend throughout much of the field of vision of that eye. is that consistent with your diagnosis

Dr. Rick :

yes. Very much so.

Dr. Rick :

No matter the cause it is important for you to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist ASAP. Going to the ER, unless you can be evaluated by an eye doctor would be of very little value.

Dr. Rick :

If you have an ophthalmologist you could try calling the office and speak to the doctor on call.

Dr. Rick :

Retina is my subspeciality interest and the only thing I do all day long......your complaint is smack dab in the middle of what I do every day.

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

i see. i will go and see an eye doctor as soon as i can get an get an appointment. i dont have an opthamologist currently. i will look for one. briefly, what is the usual prognosis or results from this condition

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

ok, where are you located?

Dr. Rick :

Depends on what is going on with your macula. There are many causes, and depending on how much damage has been done to the structure of your retina and if the damage causing event/agent can be controlled or removed (such as an epiretinal membrane with surgery) will dictate if your central vision can be improved/restored.

Dr. Rick :

I am in the very Northwoods of Central Wisconsin.

Dr. Rick :

close to the upper michigan border

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure any ophthalmologist you contact will get you in that day.

JACUSTOMER-13ksmg71- :

OK, well i guess i should look locally. thanks so much

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best of luck. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if I can give you any more information.