Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have loss the sight in my right eye. this loss occured after

I have loss the sight in my right eye. this loss occured after having eye surgery to release the pressure in my eye. I still have pain in my eye as well as pressure.(66) my doctor wants to send me to a doctor who specializes in glaucoma. I'v already lost my sight. why should i throw good money after bad She wont be able to restore my sight.What can be done for the pain and pressure .Mu medical insurance is not that good so i will have to pay for these services myself.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Are you completely blind in that eye, as is not able to see any light what so ever?

Dr. Rick :

Just an aside.....you only have one good eye left. Do not let yourself run out of any of your glaucoma drops. Not taking your azopt will cause the pressure to go up some

Customer :

yes i can not see any light

Dr. Rick :

Well, in that case, there are alternatives to glaucoma surgery on a blind, painful eye.

Dr. Rick :

Has your doctor discussed any of these with you?

Customer :

no

Customer :

what will surgery do?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The most cosmetically acceptable surgery is evisceration. This is where the contents of the globe, along with the cornea is removed and a silicone ball is placed in the remaining scleral shell. After healing has occurred an ocularist can make you an artificial eye shell that looks just like your normal eye. Since the muscles that move the eye are still attached to the scleral shell, this artificial eye can have movement.

Dr. Rick :

This will stop your pain and give you the best cosmetic result.

Customer :

I know i can't afford this what can i do to stop the pain . will this affect my right eye?

Dr. Rick :

The next surgery is enucleation, where the entire eyeball is removed after detaching the muscles from the globe. A volume filler, many times an hydroxyapatitie ball wrapped in donor sclera is placed in your orbits and the muscles are attached to this implant. After healing a artificial eye, made by an ocularist, can be attached to this ball and it, too, will move with your other eye somewhat

Dr. Rick :

It should have no affect on your right eye.

Customer :

Is there any chance of my regaing my sight back

Dr. Rick :

The easiest treatment is to inject a mix of lidocaine and 100% ethanol behind your eye. This will kill all the nerves and the pain will go away. You, most likely, will not be able to move the eye or open that eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me, the loss of vision being from end stage glaucoma with pressures still in the high 60's? No. Sorry about that.

Customer :

This means the dr. will not be able to help me and it would be a waste of money and time?

Dr. Rick :

Are you having nausea with the high pressures along with the pain?

Dr. Rick :

how much longer until you can get on medicare?

Customer :

no

Customer :

november

Dr. Rick :

That is a long time to be in pain.

Dr. Rick :

You could try the shot behind the eye. It would be inexpensive and it would work.

Customer :

yes. Thank you for your help. you were very helpful.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.