Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my 2 year old daughter recently had a cold and was given ibuprofen

Customer Question

my 2 year old daughter recently had a cold and was given ibuprofen and tylenol to keep the temperature down. I noticed that 1 day after her fever (103) started, she was having trouble opening her eyes. Now 1 week later, her left eye looks a little swollen and she cannot open it when light is directly hitting it. She does not have any discharge, but it does look a little reddish on the eyelid.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are yo available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

hi

JACUSTOMER-3o60oaz7- :

yes. thank you for your help

Dr. Rick :

So the right eye is no longer involved?

JACUSTOMER-3o60oaz7- :

It looks like it's just her left eye. When the light hits it, of course she closes both, since she can't just close one. The left eye is the one that looks a little puffy, though.

JACUSTOMER-3o60oaz7- :

The white part of the eye is not red, it's just the upper and lower eyelid that look a little pinkish.

Dr. Rick :

Your pediatrician is correct in that the most likely cause of her eye issues is "pink eye" caused by a similar virus that caused her cold. If this indeed the cause cold compresses should help her feel better along with some tylenol etc and things should get better in a couple of days

Dr. Rick :

It is a good sign that the white part of her eye is not red....that makes an intraocular process, such as uveitis, much less likely

JACUSTOMER-3o60oaz7- :

this has been going on since last Sunday. shouldn't it be better already?

Dr. Rick :

I bet it is just secondary eye involvement like you pediatrician thought. A week of symptoms is not completely out of line, although it is kinda on the long side of normal for this condition

JACUSTOMER-3o60oaz7- :

what would you recommend that I do to alleviate whatever she's feeling? It almost seems like it hurts

Dr. Rick :

The best way be sure what is going on is to have her seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist. After a complete exam she will be able to tell you exactly what is going on....and if not exactly, then she will have ruled out most all nasty stuff :)

Dr. Rick :

cold compresses if she will let you; normal OTC pain stuff you use for other minor illnesses and pains your daughter gets.

JACUSTOMER-3o60oaz7- :

Good enough. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope your daughter feels better soon

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k