Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Good Morning Doctors-- Yesterday while waiting for my

Good Morning Doctors--
Yesterday while waiting for my car to be serviced at my local car repair garage, there was a business & finance TV show going on in the background. I wasn't really paying much attention to the TV program, until a special feature about this year's Consumer Electronics 2011 Show in Las Vegas caught my ear.
What caught my attention was a new type of eyeglasses that somehow correct the prescription of progressive prescription glasses, depending on task at hand.
The reason for my interest and surprise is that I always have vision trouble switching from one type of task to another -- for example, reading, attending theater, driving a car, watcing television, doing intricate up-close hobby work, going up and down stairs, playing the piano, etc. Up to now I have despaired of ever finding an optical solution that would have "universal" application to all tasks. In recent years my eyesight has changed to the point where progressive lenses are no longer appropriate. I nevertheless continue to use them because I do not like the vision "line" that results from bi-focals. Perhaps this newly-announced Consumer Electronics product or type of optical might be the perfect solution for me?!
I did not catch all that was being said about this new optical/electronic product, because there was too much ambient noise at the garage. But it appeared that the prescription adjustment was taking place automatically(?) Could that really be possible?! Unfortunately, I did not either catch the name of this new product or its maker.
As soon as I got home I tried to find information on this product or topic on the Internet through Google searches, but was not successful. So therefor I am turning to you for help.
Can you please help me find out more about this eyewear innovation, and/or sources where I might investigate this eyecare option for myself?
Sincerely interested,
Dennis K. XXXXX, XXXXXt Windsor NJ
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I, too have heard about this product although I've never seen a pair.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. David Mathine at The University of Arizona was the original developer of this system. I can't find a link to the company you are talking about, but I bet Dr. Mathine can steer you in the right direction

Dr. Rick :

Here is how you can get in touch with him:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.optics.arizona.edu/faculty/resumes/mathine.htm

Dr. Rick :

Good luck. Let me know what you find out. :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k