Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

The folded retina cleared up after a few weeks. I had my last

Customer Question

The folded retina cleared up after a few weeks. I had my last follow-up visit with the surgeon last November and he said everything looked good and he did not need to see me again for another checkup. However, I also had another checkup with my regular Ophthalmologist and at that time my eye pressure in both eyes was at about 44. It usually is about 17 or 18. He checked it again later in the day and the pressure in my left eye had dropped back to normal. The right eye was still around 44. That is the same eye that was operated on in July for to remove a large floater. My vision in the right eye was very close to 20/20 before the surgery. It is nowhere near that now. I also notice a haze arounnd that eye.

The doctor gave me eye drops to use in that eye twice a day. The drops are Combigan. I am supposed to return for another check-up in February.

My doctor does not share very much information, even when I ask questions. Do you have any ideas regarding what may be going on and what I should expect? Is it likely to clear up? I also have cateracts in both eyes. Before the surgery, both cateracts were rated a 2. Could that be part of the problem?

Thank you for your help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. First of all the floater surgery may have exacerbated the cataract which could worsen the vision. But of more current importance is the fact that the pressure is still 44. Hopefully Combigan will help bring that down and your pressure should be rechecked soon. But certainly a high pressure like that can also temporary hazy vision. So I would expect any haze from high pressure to resolve when the pressure resolves. But the blurry vision may have worsened more permanently from the floater surgery and this them would not improve until the cataract is removed.

Does this make sense? Do you have any other questions I can answer?
I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any idea whay the pressure would have gone uo so fast?
A few of the things that can cause pressure to go up that fast include: inflammation inside the eye, the use of any kind of steroid anywhere in the body, and it's possible that your angles (areas leading to the drains in your eyes) may be anatomically narrow which can put you at risk for a sudden rise in pressure. A large dense lens such as a cataract can even exacerbate this predisposition.

Were you having inflammation in the eyes and/or were you taking steroids for anything?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had been using some types of eye drops for a while after the eye surgery in July, but I had stopped using them around September. I do not know for sure if one of the drops was a steroid, but I sort of think one of them was. Neither the surgeon or my regular eye doctor meitioned anything about inflamination in the eye. In fact, the surgeon checked my eye at about the same tine the pressure went up and he said everything looked fine inside the eye. When I have had eye checkups in the past, my regular eye doctor said my eye pressure was a little high (18-19). After checking it over a couple of years, he decided that was probably normal for me because I had previously had RK surgery.
As long as the optic nerve doesn't look like there is glaucoma happening, then a pressure of 18 or 19 is not high. Aside from all of the causes of increased pressure I mentioned previously, it commonly happens for no apparent reason at all.