Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Since my last question my right is okay but a little painful

Since my last question my right is okay but a little painful during blinking. However my left eye has become swollen with a droopy lid and my vision is noticably blurred. My sclera is pink in the morning and I have to use allergy drops and drops for redness to clear it. I have no pain in the left eye. I do on occasion see traveling debri in my eye but its not all the time and its when my contacts are out. My left eye is also very photosensitive most of the time esp during the day. When it first started bothering me early felt like it had grit under the lid but that eventually went away. I do have allergies to dust mites and dust and have addressed this area but am still having problems with my left eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and wish you a happy new year 2011.

Thank you for requesting me to answer this question.

After going through the details , absence of pain in the left eye helps to know that there is no corneal inflammation( keratitis- an important cause of redness of the eye especially in those who wear contact lenses). That does leave us with the probablity of dry eyes and giant papillary conjunctivitis( allergic condition seen with chronic use of contact lenses though less in daily or monthly disposable types). As you have also got known allergies to dust , it all the more suggests the symptoms to be due to allergy. You have started with lubricating eye drops and allergy eye drops which is good enough in mild cases. If symptoms have persisted inspite of that then it would be better to try preservative free Refresh tears eye drops for lubrication ( continue your drops if the same), Olopatadine eye drops ( prescription eye medicine) helps to treat eye allergy. For the lid swelling ( most probably the cause for lid droop also), you can tab.cetrizine 10 mg once at bedtime for 2 weeks ( oral anti-histaminic).

Since your present medicines have not given you the desired relief, I suggest that you get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist ( a slit lamp examination will help to know the status of the cornea and to detect the cause for the photosensitivity). Also the above mentioned prescription medicines can be started.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist