Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Most types of fluorescent lighting affects my sons eyesight

Most types of fluorescent lighting affects my son's eyesight (he's 21 years old). He becomes slightly dizzy and "light-headed" after five minutes of exposure. Sometimes headaches occur after lenghty exposure. He is healthy and is not currently taking any medication. What causes this? What remedy is there?   Special glasses? Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

What has he done to try to fix this issue? Does he have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you are offline. We can use tehe Q&A system to address your issue

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick,

I am back online now. He is not taking any medication currently and does not have any medical problems.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Ok....It looks like we are playing "online tag" I guess that means you are it! :o)

Some people seem to be sensitive to fluorescent lights. There have, in my experience, been no satisfactory explanation on why some folks suffer from this issue.

There are a number of treatments your son can try and they are listed everywhere on the internet so I won't repeat them here. In my experience many patients get relief by wearing inexpensive polarized sunglasses when they have to be around this type of lighting, such as at work. I would suggest you son try this. Any type of polarized sunglasses will work -- there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars on "special" or brand name glasses.

In addition you son should have a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist to make sure his eyes are otherwise healthy, he has no undiagnosed refractive error etc.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.