Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i have pigments at the back of the eye at the moment my opthalmologist

i have pigments at the back of the eye at the moment my opthalmologist told me no indication of blindness however in 2 years my eyes have gone worse i have gone from +1.5 to + 4 i saw my specialist 6 months ago but my optometrist has requested my to come and do a eye test i am just worried if my eyes have gotten worse within six months
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

If you are interested in having new glasses made go to the optometrist. If you need to know more about the pigment in your eyes, go to an ophthalmologist or a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

What are you worried about? The pigment or the glasses change?

Customer :

no i am just worried if my eye sight has worsend within 6 months

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, to best understand why your glasses Rx has changed so much your opometrist might want to do your refraction (which is better, one or two?) twice. The first time without drops (dry refraction) and the second time with drops (wet refraction). By comparing the results from these two tests she will be able to see if you have "hidden hyperopia". This can be common in far sighted folks and, if it is present in any significant amount, can start to be a bother as you get older.

Dr. Rick :

If this is indeed what is going on in your case it is nothing to be worried about. Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Customer :

i went to a opt and she told there is a possibility i can go blind due to something at the back of the eye and the she sent me to a opth and she said it's just needs to be monitored i just want to see if my eyes have worsend in 6 months

Dr. Rick :

That is why optometrists should never look in the back of the eye.....they wouldn't know significant ocular pathology if it reached up and bit them. I'm sorry she scared you like that.

Dr. Rick :

If the ophthalmologist said you don't need to be worried about the pigment it is probably an retinal nevi....think of it as a birth mark inside your eye. Nothing to worry about

Customer :

actually after i heard that i went to see my gyno about another issue she told me i am not my usual self then she told me to get a second opion got love specialist no some much more

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure the ophthalmologist would be happy to take over your complete eye care. She could do the wet/dry refraction noted above and let you know exactly what is going on with the prescription change. No need to go back and forth from an optometrist and someone who actually knows what is going on inside an eyeball.

Customer :

sorry they know so much more

Dr. Rick :

That is why they went to medical school and, then at least 4 more years of advanced training....

Customer :

the optometrist actually told me that i have retinla pigmentosa

Dr. Rick :

An optometrist has no idea what RP is......time to dump this one.

Dr. Rick :

I do retina all day long and even I don't consider myself an RP expert

Customer :

yeah because i do get scared and when she said that i may go blind my jaw dropped and went all emotional but thank you help

Customer :

i was almost like she told me i was dying

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I'm sorry you were put thought all that trauma for no good reason.

Customer :

thanks

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer :

no that's all great help

Dr. Rick :

Have a great day!

Customer :

sorry if i didn't make sense

Dr. Rick :

You did fine. I understood what you were getting at.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest