Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had an eye doctors appointment yesterday and they gave me

I had an eye doctor's appointment yesterday and they gave me my new perscription and diagnosed me with astigmatism. The prescription is: OD -.75 (cyl) 115 (Axis)
OS -.75 (cyl) 065 (Axis)
Both eyes: Either PL or RL (sphere)
I have no idea what that means AND I'm having trouble with my new glasses.
When I wear them when I'm driving in the car I can see mostly fine. If I'm sitting still looking at one thing I'm fine as well. BUT, when I wear them walking around anywhere or looking at things up close (i.e. at the grocery store shelves) I have issues. When I'm walking I feel really small. Everything seems to be shorter and wider. Then when I was looking at the grocery store shelves they seemed to be tilted backwards on a slant and longer. Is this normal needing to adjust since I didn't really wear glasses before or are these symptoms of the wrong perscription. I went in because I needed glasses to drive, I thought but now I can't do anything else with them on such as walking around or anything.
I also got a pair of sunglasses with the same perscription but a different bigger frame. These are having the exact opposite effect. I hate them when I'm driving. They make the car I'm in feel tiny and like the curb is super close to my car. Walking with them on is so much easier then with my new regualr glasses on. I'm so confused.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

The first thing I would do is go back to the person who dispensed the glasses to make sure they are to the correct specifications noted on the prescription form. They will also, at that time, recheck the fit of the frame, the pantoscopic tilt etc.

Dr. Rick :

if that all checks out OK, I would wear them full time for at least 2 weeks. It may be that your brain just needs time to adjust to the new power in the glasses.

Dr. Rick :

If that still doesn't work or you are just going nuts with the glasses I'd return to the doctor who prescribed the glasses, you know the person who kept on asking "which one is better, one or two? Three or four?" ;o)

Dr. Rick :

on the off chance they screwed up (which I, of course, have never done....cough, cough :)

Dr. Rick :

I would expect all these services to be provided at no cost and with a smile....

Customer :

That's what I thought. I am just having a hard time walking around in them. I wanted to make sure that my symptoms weren't all in my head. I'll head back in tomorrow just to have them check everything out again.

Customer :

Thank you!

Customer :

I was driving myself crazy!

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure.....

Dr. Rick :

Nothing worse then a 25 year old crazy woman ;)

Customer :

very true!

Dr. Rick :

Glad I could help protect mankind from that tonight

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k