How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I had a corneal ulcer some 3 years ago and now have

Resolved Question:

I had a corneal ulcer some 3 years ago and now have on going irritation in this eye
I wear a gas perm lens in the eye and try to wear it only 10 hours at a time
My eye burns all of the time
I have tried daily soft lenses and every over the counter drop I can find
The cornea has a large "scar" and my eye is always very red
I would like to wear glasses but i had radial keratotomy in the non effected eye and that eye has much better vision than the eye that had the corneal ulcer
Every configuration of eyeglasses I have tried just left me "dizzy" as the two eyes are so very different
Any recommendations for this ?
Thank you , Aimee
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :


Customer :

Did not receive your answer

Dr. James :


Dr. James :

Are you available for chat?

Dr. James :


Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked, accepted, thinking I was accepting an offer to accept the answer
sorry I did not get your answer
Are you needing additional information?
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Do you currently wear gas permeable lenses or do you wear soft contact lenses?
Do your eyes feel irritated when you don't have lenses in your eyes?
What is the degree of your astigmatism?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Dr. James
Yes, I wear a gas permeable lens in the affected eye
And yes, they do feel somewhat irritated even without the lens
my eye tends to have a lot of redness on a regular basis.
of course more irritation thru out the day as I wear a lens
I know I am quite astigmatic... to what degree, I do not know
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Aimee.

Unfortunately, corneal ulcers can leave a rough irregular surface. Rigid gas permeable contact lens are better than soft contact lenses in these situation because it can vault over the irregular areas.

If the area of irregularity is large, you may consider a larger RGP. These are called scleral RGP lenses. Your optometrist should be able to fit them or refer you to a specialty contact lens provider.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
My response is above. If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them for you.

Edited by Dr. James on 1/8/2011 at 11:11 PM EST

Related Eye Questions