Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have sffered from blepharitis for over 2 years nothing seems

I have sffered from blepharitis for over 2 years nothing seems to cure it I have had antibiotics and different eye drops but nothing works. Is if possible that the tear duct to my yhroat is blocked. If so can it be cleared.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Not sure why that posted twice....we must have gremlins in the system again?

Dr. Rick :

Have you had a at least a months treatment with doxycycline 100 mg/day along with lid scrubs, warm soaks and tear replacement drops? Do you have any other medical conditions or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

If the duct to your throat is blocked it can be opened or bypassed if needed. I'd like more information so I can give you a more focused answer.....

JACUSTOMER-1grghl41- :

I have been taking Doxyclcline 100mg for the past 3 months

Dr. Rick :

hi.

Dr. Rick :

and, I would expect, doing lid scrubs, warm compresses and using tear replacement drops as well. What does your ophthalmologist have to say about all of this?

Dr. Rick :

Is the anatomy of your eyelids/lashes OK?

JACUSTOMER-1grghl41- :

What makes my think it is a blocked tear duct is because prior to the problem I got sawdust in my eye and it has never been right since

JACUSTOMER-1grghl41- :

My eye lids and lashes are ok

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that getting sawdust in your eyes sometime in the distant past would cause this type of ongoing problem. Blepharitis, however can be like the relative that never leaves -- just hangs on and on and on.....

JACUSTOMER-1grghl41- :

Can you suggest a cure

Dr. Rick :

also sawdust wouldn't get into, and plug, your tearducts. And, for arguments sake that it did, you would end up with a painful, infected lacrimal sac.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with the doxycycline. It is also important to make sure your eyelids are not too lax or too tight -- that they are in their normal anatomical position. I would also measure your tear function and, in rare cases, express gunk from your meibomium glands and culture them.

JACUSTOMER-1grghl41- :

thanks

Dr. Rick :

Other then that I would do at least daily lid scrubs with johnsons baby shampoo in the shower, warm compresses multiple times during the day, kinda like outlined in the statement below:

Dr. Rick :

Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

But you've already been through all of this I expect. If things are not going the way you feel they should I would suggest an evaluation by a corneal specialist. These physicians deal with not only the cornea but all aspects of anterior segment disease, including eyelid problems.

Dr. Rick :

I wish I had a magic cure for you -- I can sense your frustration all the way across the Atlantic. :o(

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k