Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

can central areolar choridal sclerosis be repaired

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-q39xxzn3- :

yes can anything be done for this condition

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of advanced testing that can be done to better delineate what exactly is going on

Dr. Rick :

vision loss is usually extreme and progressive, although some patients maintain useful vision until the fifth or sometimes even the sixth decade of life.

JACUSTOMER-q39xxzn3- :

have had numerous tests done with researchers here but was told not to come back as nothing can be done

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, they are correct. If the workup has been done and the diagnosis confirmed there is nothing modern medicine -- in Ireland or otherwise -- has to offer.

JACUSTOMER-q39xxzn3- :

what about stem cell or transplants

Dr. Rick :

This is my area of sub specialization....and all of that is at the basic research stage at this point. In any event once scars start to form and the photoreceptors are destroyed nothing can be done. Photoreceptors are like a piece of the brain -- they do not regenerate

Dr. Rick :

I wish I had better news.....

JACUSTOMER-q39xxzn3- :

so do i ... four of my eight children have the early stages of this condition and i was being hopeful for them. Thanks Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

It does tend to run in families......Take care and I will be thinking positive thoughts for your and your affected children

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

k