Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I thought I was getting a stye but didnt see anything in the

I thought I was getting a stye but didn't see anything in the lid edge. After 2 days of irritation to the eye, I noticed a small white lump on the inside of the lid that is tender when the lid is touched on the outside of the eye. Is this still considered a stye? I have been applying warm compresses to the eye every few hours.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I am here to help you today.

Doctor DanB :

What you are noticing is an early stye, which is essentially a blocked oil gland in the eyelid; you are just noticing the other, or business end of the stye on the inside. You are currently doing the necessary treatment for a stye. I usually recommend using hot compresses (as hot as you can tolerate without burning yourself) 4x/day, for 10 minutes each time, massaging the bump or area while the compress is on it. The compress should stay that hot temperature the entire time, so you may consider putting a clean, wet washcloth in the microwave to get it that hot (just be sure to not burn yourself). It can sometimes take up to 2-3 weeks of doing this 4x/day, everyday, for the stye to completely go away, but they usually don't require medicines for treatment unless there is significant inflammation and swelling. If it doesn't resolve after 2-3 weeks of this treatment, then if you desire the bump to go away then it would need to be opened up in a minor procedure by your ophthalmologist in the office.

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

JACUSTOMER-4ryjsj0k- :

No this sounds like you covered it and confirmed my concerns. I swim a few days a week. Should there be a concern when getting water into the eye?