Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had conjunctivitis for 4 weeks. 2 rounds of eye drops

I have had conjunctivitis for 4 weeks. 2 rounds of eye drops and one round of oral abx and steroid. Still having symptoms. What could it be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What type of doctor has been prescribing all these various meds?

Customer :

GP

Customer :

the allergy meds I tried on my own

Dr. Rick :

Ahhhh.....I don't do heart attacks, GPs shouldn't do eyes :o)

Customer :

LOL

Customer :

so now he thinks it may be autoimmune??

Dr. Rick :

Tell me more about this conjunctivitis. Did it start in one eye and then go to the other a few days later? Is there much discharge/gunk/pain? Is your vision affected? and if so, how?

Dr. Rick :

does it itch or burn a lot? Tearing a lot?

Customer :

it started with one eye, redness and drainage. Then swelling of the upper eye lid. My eye swelled shut. It then went to the other eye. The steroids helped with the swelling however each morning I wake with mattery eyes. crusty thick drainage that seals my eyes shut

Customer :

as the day progresses they clear up still some redness and tearing threw the day

Customer :

I am a contact wearer and have not had them in for the last 4 weeks

Dr. Rick :

Well, I think we can try something simple before your GP signs you up for the bazzillion dollar autoimmune work up..... The disease process I am thinking of would have not been treated by all your past Rx, except for short term relief from the nuclear attack of the steroids......

Dr. Rick :

and it is very, very common

Dr. Rick :

Here is a little bit about it:

Dr. Rick :

WeIt sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Dr. Rick :

I would try this for a few weeks, along with hot compresses as often during the day as you can fit into your schedule. I give it about a 98% chance of fixing your problem.....

Dr. Rick :

If not, before looking for horrible systemic diseases, go see you local ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Also, I agree with holding off on contact lens wear until you are better

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Customer :

I am, I work as a school nurse and had a student. Thank you

Customer :

it makes sence I just could not figure out why a often viral infection was lasting so long

Dr. Rick :

Exactly. Viral conjuctivitis wouldn't have lasted so long. Although people don't like trying anything low tech, I think this treatment plan will help....and you can sit back in your treatment area with a hot compress on your eyes all day and no one will know ;)

Customer :

I have had some change in my vision, I am not sure if it is just the fact that I dont usually wear my glasses or an actual change in vision

Dr. Rick :

could also be from your messed up tear film

Customer :

ahhh true

Customer :

This treatment seems much more along the lines of my thinking. Thank you

Dr. Rick :

Ok, try this and see how it goes. Keep on keeping those little munchkins from skipping out of math class with a "fever"

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day. Bye.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k