Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

30 min ago a dark steak appeared in my right eye. it has enlarged

30 min ago a dark steak appeared in my right eye. it has enlarged. Now I know I have been sick and was in a fever when this happened. The streak has not visibly enlarged in last 10 min. should i go see an optholmologist tomorrow or try some thing tonight
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Can you describe this further? How much of your visual field does this streak take up? Is it a small, thin line or does this occupy a large part of the visual field? Does this streak follow your eye movements in a "floating" manner?

Customer :

it takes up a large part of field on right eye. its dark sometimes reddish depending on light. the streak has turned in to branches like vitrious floaters.. and they do move when I look around. the streaks stay relatively in the same area but floats a back andforth a bit but not much

Doctor DanB :

Do you have prior floaters?

Customer :

yes both eyes... but nothing like this... there also a bit of a cloud made of tiny spots

Doctor DanB :

Have you had any surgery or trauma to that eye? Do you have diabetes?

Customer :

no sx or trauma no diabetes that i know of... I do have obesity and hypertension untreated .. I have changed my diet last 4 weeks bp will range from 140/83 after walking to 121/73

Customer :

i know i have been sick for a few weeks consistant w/ what my boss and his kids have I also have endulged in milk products that give me bad headaches... but they are subsiding and so is the general illness

Doctor DanB :

Has the overall vision changed (in the parts of the vision where the streak isn't)? Are you having any flashing lights or do you see any curtain, veil, or shadow in that eye?

Customer :

same over all vision .. not sure what you mean by curtain or veil... a bit cloudy from tiny spots

Customer :

and far as flashing lights there have been some on occasion but nothing steady just on occasion very tiny pin prick flashes a few these are seldom

Doctor DanB :

Your symptoms sound consistent with a hemorrhage in the vitreous jelly. In someone who doesn't have diabetes, this is usually from a blood vessel that has burst in association with a new floater. In this case, the risk of having a hole, break, or tear in the retina goes up which can make the risk of retinal detachment higher than if there was no hemorrhage. Knowing this, I do think it would be a good idea for you to see your ophthalmologist tonight if at all possible. if this is not possible, then 1st thing in the morning would be best. If you cannot see him/her tonight, then take it easy and don't strain yourself. Does this make sense?

Customer :

yes i was thinking emergency room ... but that is expensive and who knows who i will get.

Customer :

at the moment I have no dr. but I have already started looking via angieslist.com

Doctor DanB :

Yes, unfortunately you are right. But one thing is for sure, when you do get there, you need to insist that they bring an ophthalmologist in if that is at all possible. Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions I can answer?

Customer :

yes.. thank you

Doctor DanB :

I'm happy to be able to help you today. if you would be so kind , please help me get credit for my efforts in assisting you with your concerns by pressing the ACCEPT button. If you have further concerns we can still address these as well until all of your concerns are resolved. Also any positive feedback you may feel inclined to give would be most welcome. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation, you must be examined by your doctor,

Customer :

thank you dr DanB I will of course

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology