Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Within the past few days, my vision has gotten kinda blurry.

Within the past few days, my vision has gotten kinda blurry. My migraines start in my right eye, but I haven't had any lately. I have do however, have a chronic knot in by my right shoulder blade that when painful or irritated, causes an eye pain, headache and upset stomach. I'm worried about an issue with my optic nerve at this point.

Hello and thanks for your question. Please allow me to ask you a few questions:

1. Do you wear glasses and/or contact lenses and if so how long has it been since your last prescription?

2. Have you had any surgery, eye trauma, or any prior eye problems?

3. Is the vision blurry only without your glasses or contacts, or is it blurry even with them on?

4. is the blurry vision only at near or only at distance or is it both?

5. Is the blurry vision only associated with certain activities (reading, computer, TV or school)?

6. Why do you have a specific concern for your optic nerve? Have you had problems with it in the past?Z

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi - and thank you! I apologize for not responding sooner. I had to log off last evening.

Question 1 - I do not wear glasses or contacts, never have. I am actually having my first ever official eye exam this coming Saturday.

2 - Nope, no injury or trauma to the eye/s, or prior troubles.

3 - Without, being that I don't wear either.

4 - Mostly more close up.

5 - I'd say reading/computer work. I can still completely make out letters and such, no matter how small, they just seem a hair unclear.

6 - No issues ever with the optic nerve, but I was just looking at information online (not always good to do, I know) but I wondered if the muscle issue I have is putting pressure on the nerve. My biggest fear is a brain or eye tumor.

What are your thoughts on this having to do with the tight muscle in my neck? Last evening I had my husband work the sore spot on my neck, and it made things less blurry when it felt relief. I should also clarify that the bluriness isn't major, but just noticable, and different for me.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help!

I actually must say that I'm a little bit baffled by this association between a tight and/or sore neck muscle and this blurry vision at near. There are absolutely no anatomical associations between the nervous system components that subserve near vision and those in the neck. Knowing this I would have to say it may be that you might be transmitting the tension from your neck into your head and maybe eyelid causing a bit of vision distortion. But one thing I can say is that this doesn't make me at all concerned for a brain or eye tumor. It is a good idea to get the eye exam because it is possible you're developing a mild need for glasses in that eye that you've been compensating for recently.

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.