Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter has had partial loss of vision in her outside corner

My daughter has had partial loss of vision in her outside corner of her eye for 6 days. She also has flashes and distortion,and wavy lines. She first went to a retinal specialist. He said she was having ocular migraines. Then she went to a GP, and they put her on medicine - Maxalt- 6 pills, 1 every 2 hours. She still has the eye problems. Could this be some other serious problems with the eye or brain?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Our chat system is down....we can use the Q&A to work on your issue.
This is what I typed on the chat system before I noticed it was not responding:

6:14 PM
are you available to chat?
6:16 PM
is it in just one eye? I am correct in understanding that the loss of side vision has not gone away at all? Is it in one eye or both?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes just one eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
How long has she noticed these changes in her visual field in the one eye?
Does it seem like a curtain or a veil is coming over her vision?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No not a curtain or a vail. But she has had it for 6 days now. She had gone out drinking with friends the night before and threw up that night. The next day she had a head aches and the eye problem. On the 2nd day she just had the eye problem and it has be with her for 6 day today. The visions is affected on the outside corner of her left eye. She is haveing trouble working especially in bright lights. She has loss or distortion of sight in the outer corner of her eye. sometimes she has zigzag or wavy lines in outer left eye. She saw a retinal specialist and then saw a GP and put on Maxalt for migraines, but that has not helped.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
well, it sounds like she is in good hands. I was worried about retinal pathology from your statement but there is very,very little chance that a retina specialist would miss a detachment.

At this point I do not believe that her eyes are the cause of the issues she is having. If the maxalt has not helped I would suggest that your daughter be seen by a neurologist. A MRI of her head might also be in order, if it has not already been done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has an appointment with a neurologist, however they were not able to see her until next Thursday. Do you think going to the ER to go ahead and get some scans done would be in order rather than wait over a week?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
As a father of 3 adult daughters I know what you are going through. If she is still having terrible headaches and visual symptoms and is just plain miserable I would take my kid to the ER. At the very least they can give her stronger meds to make her feel better.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My daughter isn't having headaches any longer, only vision obstruction that is making her dizzy and nauseous preventing her from her work. Is there any medication available that will be able to relieve the optical symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
there are meds that can address the nausea and the dizziness. I am glad to hear that the headaches have resolved. I agree with the plan to see the neurologist....is there any chance your daughter could get in earlier then next Thursday?

Her internal medicine doctor should be able to call in some additional meds to the pharmacy for her nausea and dizziness, maybe even tonight if you can get hold of her through the answering service. It does sound like your daughter is on the right track....the train is just moving a little bit slow :(
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I forgot to say that there are no specific treatments that will address the ocular symptoms...the only way to address them is by treating the underlying condition.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can add?

If not, I wish your daughter the best and hope she feels better soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help. We took my daughter to thr emergancy room and found out she had a mini stroke. She had a MRI which showed the stroke on the right optical lobe of the brain. She saw a neuralogist today also and they will be running some more test to see what caused the stroke. My daughter turns 30 in Feburary. She smokes, is over weight and was out bing drinking the night before she had the left eye problems the next morning. She realizes she needs to make major changes. The Dr. told her no more than two drinks the no more smoking to start. She also is on the mirano IUD, which causes her to not have periods. I think she need to have that removed also. Just wanted to fill you in on what we found out, so it can you help others that have the same problems as my daughter did.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your feedback. Your daughters condition and experience will help myself, and hopefully her doctors, to remember to "think outside the box" if things aren't going as expected.

I'm glad you were able to nail down the problem without waiting over a week to see the neurologist.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest