Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

this evening I suddenly had a significant blood shot eye, right

this evening I suddenly had a significant blood shot eye, right eye, lower left corner. earlier in the day I did my usual workout at the Y which included 20" of treadmill, my pulse rate reaching 137 for a few minutes, and then retreating to 120 when I finished. I then did exercises on a floor mat for 30" including stretching, strength (sit ups 30) and then proceeded to some machines lifting 80 lbs and 60 for triceps and biceps respectively followed by three other not too strenuous Nautilus machines. Exercises I did many times previously. The eye showed the blood shot 4 hours after exercising. I am a 74 year old male, 210 pounds in otherwise good health. On diabetes meds, BP meds and cholesterol drugs. Was at the doctor's office yesterday for a sore finger, BP 116/66, temp 98. Home BP check was 119/74, pulse 78 after seeing eye, a little stressed. Take 81mm aspirin 2X daily, losartan, prandin, actos, lipitor, folic acid, psyllium husks, 974mm tylenol arthritus 2X daily, multivitamin and omega 3. Puzzled?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a subconjunctival hemorrhage

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Have a healthy and happy 2011