Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, I have been having a very bad eye strain for the

I have been having a very bad eye strain for the past 1 day. I work with HSBC and mainly do computer based work. I had an eye test last week and I have a very basic mild prescription of R (-0.5) and L (-0.25). And mild astigmatism in right eye (-0.25) at 90 degrees. Despite the basic shortsightedness, I have never had eye strain and has just come up in the past 1 day. Please advise.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

hi

Dr. Rick :

it is possible that you are having tear film, kinda like dry eyes, and blepharitis issues. This can cause eye strain, esp. when working at a computer all day.

Customer :

I see

Customer :

Yeah thats what it seems like

Customer :

What's the solution?

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

You could also use some natural tears during the day to soothe your eyes.

Customer :

Thank you Doctor. Is there a telephone I can call on to clarify?

Dr. Rick :

You can send me a message at no charge on this system using the PM (personal message) function.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

have a good day.

Customer :

just got a

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What are natural tears? where can I get them? How should I use them?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
That is a brand name of tear replacement drops. Any brand is fine -- the inexpensive ones are just as good as the expensive ones.

You can get them in almost all pharmacies, walmart, grocery stores etc
Do you have walmart in the UK?

Just place a drop in each eye 3 to 4x/day, or more if desired. They will soothe your eyes and wash out any gunk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just went to the local pharmacy-Boots (which is a major pharmacy retailer in UK). They were out of stock of Natural Tears and have given me Eye drops which has the below written on it:

"The soothing and lubricating qualities of Hypromellose relieves ocular discomfort and irritation associated with dry eyes and environmental factors such as wind, salt water, smoke or computer work."

Can I use these??
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Those are perfect and should work fine.