Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was on vacation in Costa Rica and woke up wtih my left eye

Customer Question

I was on vacation in Costa Rica and woke up wtih my left eye really swollen, but no pain. As the swollen area seemed to drain down, my face and now my left side of my body is kind of tingly and numb particularly my limbs. I am thinking it was some kind of insect bite?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

Yes, I'm here

Customer :

So do you have any idea?

Dr. Rick :

what do you mean that it seems to drain down your face? Is it that your eye, and now your lower cheek is swollen? And the entire left side of your body is involved?

Customer :

yes, the left side of my face got a little puffy as my eye became less puffy

Customer :

and it feels like there is some fluid or something

Customer :

and its just a little numb feeling, but it doesn't hurt at all

Customer :

the numb/tingling feeling comes and goes all down my left side

Dr. Rick :

ok. It might be an insect bite or the eye thing might be an early stye/chalazion

Customer :

my eye now looks normal

Customer :

still feels a bit puffy around my cheekbone

Customer :

and above it too

Dr. Rick :

I bet it is a bug bite then.

Customer :

so will it just go away?

Customer :

would the eye being the first swollen part mean thats where i was bitten? because i don't see any bite around there

Dr. Rick :

Lots of big bugs in Costa Rica :o) You should take your next January vacation here in Sunny Northern Wisconsin....all the bugs are dead and frozen now

Customer :

and here in new york too

Dr. Rick :

I would use some cold compresses on it for today. If it is not gone by tomorrow maybe you should ask someone if there is a local doctor you could consult with

Customer :

but we don't have ziplininghere either

Customer :

cold compresses just on the face?

Customer :

should i be worried about my left leg and arm being tingly and kind of tight feeling?

Dr. Rick :

I could set you up a zip line down to the lake.... ;o)

Customer :

sold

Dr. Rick :

Yes, just some ice in a towel.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think this is anything that will cause any long term injury to your eye

Customer :

and when would you think the numb feeling will go away?

Dr. Rick :

If it isn't gone by tomorrow am ask someone in the hotel (or where ever you are staying) if there is a physician around you could see

Customer :

oh i'm back home now

Customer :

this happened on the last day of my vacation

Customer :

i'm in grad school and just wanted to avoid the annoying student health center if possible

Dr. Rick :

Oh, you mean the Quack Shack? We had those when I was in college too!

Customer :

exactly

Customer :

so just in summary, i shouldn't be worried about circulating any lethal bug juice in my system or losing a limb at this point? how does this stay in just one side of the body?

Dr. Rick :

I think you will survive this time. Have a great time down south and don't do anything I wouldn't have done when I was 26 (at least don't get caught)

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. If it was a toxic dose of exotic bug juice it would not just stay on one side of your body.....the fact that only one side is affected makes me comfortable that you will survive to pay tuition agian.

Customer :

fair enough

Customer :

ah, NYU will be thrilled

Dr. Rick :

I went to Medical School at New York Med, Lived in the village for a couple of years.....

Customer :

its a fun place to be, which is why i want to live to see another day

Customer :

good news

Dr. Rick :

Take care. It is now safe for you to press that pretty green button on your screen ;o)

Customer :

thanks for your help!

Customer :

wait, how do i leave this?

Dr. Rick :

Just exit out. Don't push that green button again or your will end up paying me twice

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest