Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Is it possible to cry tears of blood and if so what causes

Is it possible to cry tears of blood and if so what causes it? Have you ever seen anyone who does so.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

hello

Customer :

do you have an answer for me

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

We are in chat mode.

Dr. James :

Are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes

Dr. James :

Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Customer :

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Customer :

can you give me information about my question

Dr. James :

Do you have any other information on this person who cries tears of blood?
Age? One eye or both eyes?
Does your son know him personally?

Dr. James :

Has your son seen the bloody tears?

Customer :

I think both eyes. female 20 years old.

Customer :

Yes he knows her personally.He says he saw from webcam the tears of blood with his own eyes.

Customer :

I think she is tricking him.

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Customer :

He has not seen them in person

Dr. James :

To answer your question directly, yes it is plausible to cry blood tears.

Customer :

what can cause this to happen

Dr. James :

This is a concerning finding however because it may mean something is wrong with the gland that produces tears.

Customer :

That is what I would think and do you think that both eyes could be affected

Dr. James :

The person would need to see an ophthalmologist for evaluation to check for infection, vascular abnormalities or cancer of that lacrimal gland.

Dr. James :

It is also possible that it was a prank.

Customer :

This is something that she claims has been going on for years

Dr. James :

Both eyes could be affect, but less likely thank just one eye.

Customer :

I told my son that either she is loony or extremely sick, mentally or physically

Dr. James :

That seems like a fair statement.

Dr. James :

That, or just playing a prank on your son.

Dr. James :

If she is serious, then she needs to see a doctor for evaluation.

Customer :

The plot thickens. I must also tell you that she says all this happened when she was physically attacted on a street with her then boyfriend and he was killed and she in defense somehow killed the intruder and he fell on her and bled on her, even in her eyes and that this is what started all this crying tears of blood. I know it is the craziest thing in the world. I can't believe my son even told me of this kcrazy thing. But he is a dear innocent and actually believes her. Can anything like this happen

Customer :

I need big guns to use against this thing. and I thought that hearing it from a doctor would mean more than from Mom.

Dr. James :

The blood from the intruder entering her eyes would not cause the blood tears. It is possible that the blood caused an infection and now affecting the girl's gland.

Dr. James :

but the story is a stretch.

Customer :

I think that is what she said.

Dr. James :

She needs to see an ophthalmologist. If the exam is normal, then maybe a psychiatrist.

Customer :

She says that ever since then her eyes have been extremely sensitive to light.

Customer :

Have you personally ever seen or treated tears of blood

Dr. James :

I have seen patient's coming in for blood tears but usually that has been due to a burst blood vessel, similar to a bruise in the eye. On my exam, I would see the source of the bleeding and reassured the patient. I have not seen blood tears in the situation you are describing.

Customer :

Thank you so much for you experience and things to think about. You have more than satisfied me in this answer

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer :

thankyou

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon