Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

when I read black print on the computer the word i am reading

when I read black print on the computer the word i am reading looks purple while the words around it remain black Why is this happening quite frequently even when I use the computer for a short time?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

Is this just in one eye?

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

I have reumatoid arthritis and take methotrexate 15mg per week and 2mg cortizone daily

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

are both eyes affected?

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

Have you tried testing this one eye at a time

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. There are a couple of causes. Methotrexate can cause various, strange visual changes and/or visual loss although at the low dose you are taking I wouldn't think this is likely.

Dr. Rick :

The other cause could be central cataracts, or after cataract surgery, posterior capsule opacities......unusual to be exactly the same in both eyes

Dr. Rick :

does this purple thing come and go or does it seem to always be present?

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

you mention two causes... I have taken methotrexate for ten years.. the problem is fairly recent last 10 months or so

Dr. Rick :

Ya, I agree.....methotrexate probably isn't the cause -- just a possibility

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

It comes and goes

Dr. Rick :

Ok, well then that tends to rule out any serious macular disease. Since it comes and goes it is most likely a tear film issue. Poor tear film, blepharitis, dry eye etc is like getting oil on your windshield on a rainy day and smearing it around with your wipers -- you get all sorts or weird visual effects

Dr. Rick :

I think we can try some easy at home treatments for a few weeks and see if we can get things to improve for you.

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

Suffer from dry eye because of the RA so perhaps I need to drop my eyes more thean the once a day I end up doing

Dr. Rick :

do your eyes seem to itch much or do you have any allergies? Yes. I agree. Once a day with tear drops, especially in a person with RA, is not enough. I'd use them a minimum of 4 times a day

JACUSTOMER-fkgrf1s6- :

Very sorry but I just have to go and cook the tea ( don't want my wife to worry

Dr. Rick :

here is something to treat them with...

Dr. Rick :

Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k