Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi. I had a scleral buckle inserted in my right eye on October

Customer Question

Hi. I had a scleral buckle inserted in my right eye on October 1st to re-attach the retina. After my 10 week post-op visit with the retina specialist, he told me I could see my opthamologist for new glasses as I went from being far-sighted to being near-sighted in the affected eye.

The problem is that even with my new glasses, I still can't see clearly in the eye with the buckle -- there is a haze or cloud in my vision that gets in the way. The cloud occasionally clears a little and I can see the words I'm typing better, but in no time it's back.

Is this normal? Is the cloud a cataract? Fluid in the eye from the surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat? I am a retina doc

Customer :

Yes, thank you!

Dr. Rick :

did you also have a vitrectomy and gas placed inside your eye?

Customer :

I had a fast-acting gas bubble placed in my eye -- no vitrectomy.

Dr. Rick :

one more question....do you know if your macula had detached?

Customer :

I don't know. I don't believe it did. The doctor never said anything about it.

Dr. Rick :

one way to tell....how bad was your vision prior to your retina repair? Could you still see enough to get around or read?

Customer :

Prior to the retina repair I only wore reading glasses.

Dr. Rick :

when you went to the retina doc, could you still see pretty well out of that eye or was your vision so bad that you couldn't see things either in the distance or up close, even with your readers?

Customer :

I could definitely see pretty well when I went to the doctor. I could still read and see things at a distance. I had two dark specks in the inside corner of my eye that weren't going away but beyond that I could see pretty well.

Dr. Rick :

ok...your got to the retina doc before your macula -- the very important part of your retina used for all daily activities -- had detached very much, if at all. That was very, very good!

Dr. Rick :

ok lets, finally, get to your questions, shall we?

Dr. Rick :

First. The buckle changes the shape of your eyeball and makes you nearsighted. This is normal. Glasses, in most cases, will solve this.

Dr. Rick :

Second, this haze thing that gets in the way of your vision is called a vitreous floater.

Dr. Rick :

It is very common after gas injection into the eye for retina detachment repair, and sometimes even after a scleral buckle. It also happens normally as we get older. Your floater is most likely so large because the gas bubble caused the entire posterior hyloid face to peel free from your retina.

Dr. Rick :

What can be done about this? Usually, nothing is needed as the floater with time will "sink" out of your visual field. If it doesn't sometimes a YAG laser can be used to cut it into smaller pieces. The most aggressive treatment is a vitrectomy, but this carries many risks

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense so far?

Customer :

Yes, it does. thank you. What are the risks of vitrectomy? I have heard that this is done along with the scleral buckle in many cases.

Dr. Rick :

Yes it is, depending upon the location of any holes in your retina, the extent and type of detachment etc. I have only done a vitrectomy for floaters a handful of times in almost 2 decades of retina practice. I'd not rush into it.....

Dr. Rick :

Now. About the other effects of the gas injection. Did your doc tell you that you will -- for sure -- get a cataract in you operative eye? Usually within 18 months or so....

Customer :

Yes, he did. We are planning to talk about cataract surgery in June. I already had a cataract forming in the eye (although I couldn't tell)...

Dr. Rick :

Ya. That always happens. If you are still really, really having problems with the floater a vitrectomy could be done at the same time as the cataract surgery. Most cataract surgeons would prefer to coordinate the vitrectomy with a retina surgeon rather then do it themselves.

Dr. Rick :

but I've done that with some of my anterior segment colleagues before and it has worked out well. They do the cataract/IOL and then I come in and do the posterior work

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad you got your retina fixed before it got to your macula...

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

\

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands with the ophthalmologists you are

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest