Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My husband lost his vision in his left eye about twenty years

Customer Question

My husband lost his vision in his left eye about twenty years ago a grape vine he cut came back and hit his eye popping the clear coat over his eye there for he can only see shadows around the edges of his eye is there any surgery now that can fix that so he could get his vision back
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

After major trauma such as that sustained by your husband's eye, it would be difficult for me to be able to give you a definitive answer without being able to examine him. However, I can present you with a few different possibilities that may provide some hope:

1. If the cornea was the only part of the eye damaged then either a laser surgery may be able to be done to remove a scar or 2. A corneal transplant may be able to be done.

3. If the lens was damaged and is now a cataract, that may be able to be removed and may provide vision restoration to some degree.

Otherwise there may not be many other options. I would recommend getting a fresh opinion from an ophthalmologist.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more aquestions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.