Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 3 year old granddaughter was scratched in the eye two days

My 3 year old granddaughter was scratched in the eye two days ago. There was a red dot in the white area which probably was the scratch mark. I put a drop or two of saline to refresh the eyes of contact wearers in her eye. She hasn't complained any more but does remember which eye was scratched if she is asked. I have heard of awful eye infections from optical cat scratches. We are keeping this in mind in case she starts to have obvious symptoms of an eye infection or a fever. Should we take her to the doctor anyway? If so, should she be taken to an opthamologist or her regular pediatric doctor? Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-x58x4ug4- :

yes

Dr. Rick :

If her eye looks ok at this point except for a little red dot on the conjunctiva (the white part of her eye) then I would bet that she is going to be fine. I would't be too worried about any type of infection from small scratch in this area of her eye from a cat

JACUSTOMER-x58x4ug4- :

Okay. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

If you are concerned however, a visit to a pediatric doctor would be of little value -- an ophthalmologist, or better yet a pediatric ophthalmologist (who is used to working with kids) would be the place to go. However, like I stated above, it doesn't sound like this is necessary

JACUSTOMER-x58x4ug4- :

If symptoms do show, should she see an opthamologist or her pediatrician?

Dr. Rick :

ophthalmologist...

JACUSTOMER-x58x4ug4- :

Oh. We crossed our communication. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Have a safe and healthy 2011!