Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what causes blood-shot eyes that reaccures

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
The most common causes of recurring blood-shot eyes are allergies, dry eyes and blepharitis.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I see you have read my answer. Is there anything you would like to ask me? I am online right now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also get floaters and occasional flashes in both eyes ...not all the time ,they come and go . This is a new condition..the last two months .
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online now
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

See....Sometimes you can get two answers for the price of one :o) Have a great 2011.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not realise I only get one answer for the £16 payed ,if this is the case..then Ido not require an answer .

Thank you ...I live in the hills and not easily in reach of a ophthalmologist, your answers have put my mind at ease...and I am now, not panicking !
I wish you a wonderful and healthy 2011 .
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Don't worry about it...I live in the middle of Northern Wisconsin and understand what it can be like. Plus I've heard that in the UK getting in to see an ophthalmologist is like pulling teeth.

Consider you peace of mind my New Years gift to you.

Have a great day.