Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I accidentally poked my eye with the tip of a yucca leaf tonight;

I accidentally poked my eye with the tip of a yucca leaf tonight; I also did a wash with advanced eye wash solution, and put in some Bacitracin. The Bacitracin was unopened and had been refrigerated since I got it, but the exp date is May 2005. Today is 1/2/11. Will I be okay using it? My eye is a little sore, but I don't think it is too bad. It has a red spot too, and a tiny broken blood vessel.

Hello there Customer

using the expired ointment despite refrigeration is not appropriate. You have already placed it in, leave it alone, no need to try to rinse it out since it is not bothering the eye. The soreness you feel is from the trauma you suffered and you should try to rest this evening and let it heal. If the eye feels any worse tomorrow, you should see an eye care professional, if it is any better, dont bother placing any more medicine, and it should heal on its own. If you think there may be any foreign material or vision is worse than usual tomorrow, again, you should be seen, I wish you well and thanks for using JA, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr. Stevens,
I will throw the expired ointment out -- did I possibly damage my eye by using it? I am a little scared about that. I don't think there is anything in my eye, it weeped immediately, and then I rinsed. Should I rinse again before bed, or just let it be? I guess I am concerned because.... I also poked my finger and it is still throbbing an hour later -- the reason I mention it is I am wondering if there is some poison in the plant that might be in my eye. Finger is fine, not worried about that at all. Just wondering if my finger still hurts, is the injury worse for my eye since it is more delicate?

Thanks for your reply

Rinsing the eye once more will be acceptable, if you do it gently, you wont cause any damage. There wont be any poison, perhaps some irritant but it will quickly dissipate from within tissues, drain and be washed away by tears as well as your physically rinsing it. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens