Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had blurred vision in one eye and went to have it checked

I had blurred vision in one eye and went to have it checked out at my opthomologist and retina specialist. They used various eye drops while examiing me, and I suddenly had impaired vision, I could no longer read read a newspaper. This has lasted four days. They suggested I see a doctor? Could I have been allewrgic to the drops?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Do you wear glasses for distance vision in addition to reading glasses?

Are you blurry only with your glasses off or even with your glasses on?

Is the blurry vision you have still only at near objects or is it at distance objects as well?

Have you had cataract surgery in either eye?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do not wear glasses for distance. The blurred vision in one eye only left eye. Could see and read well in both eyes magnification 2 prior to examination. Slight cataract, but no abnoralities noted by doctors. They said blurring was temporary. But could not read a newspaper in days since, both eyes affected. Went bacl to doctors told me to see family doctors. Said I needed #4 glasses. The sudden loss of vision -- could it be a reaction to drops?

Unless they used a dilating drop called Atropine (dilates the pupils and suspends focusing up close for 7 to 10 days), then the dilating drops they gave you should not be causing this symptom 4 days after having received them. Additionally, even if they did give you atropine (which is highly unlikely--it's very seldom used in the eye doctor's office), your problems focusing really should only be at near, not at distance as you are having right now.

I suspect that what you may be experiencing is an interruption in your brain's ability to focus through an existing need for distance glasses that before the dilation you were able to handle fairly well for the most part. It is not uncommon for a person who has never worn distance glasses to slowly, but gradually, develop a need for glasses in the distance, but never get them because they are able to adapt and deal with it because the change happens slowly. However, when the eyes suddenly have their focusing abilities interrupted and then the eyes return to normal (not dilated anymore), it can be more difficult to get back that ability to adapt as you once had.

What I would suggest is giving it a few more days to see if your vision starts to relax back to how you were adapting prior to the dilating drops. If this doesn't improve soon, however, I would suggest going to get a "refraction", which is a test for distance glasses to see if that would improve the vision.

But to reiterate, dilating drops wouldn't cause this blurriness lingering after 4 days.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.