Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I work up one morning and had a moving blur in my right eye.

Customer Question

I work up one morning and had a moving blur in my right eye. The blur is shaped like a windshield wiper and moves right to left and back. I wear prescription glasses and multi-focal contacts. The blur occurs while wearing glasses and contacts. I am 51 and have never had to take any type of medicine. I do remember rubbing my eyes a little too much recently. Could I have scratched them? This vision problem has lasted 3-5 days.

thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

Good morning

Dr. Rick :

Good afternoon here!

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

This moving blur is really bugging me.

Dr. Rick :

ok

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

Could this be the onset of diabetes?

Dr. Rick :

no....this is not how diabetic retina disease first presents. Is this blur like a shadow moving across your field of view?

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

Yes. Like a narrow windshield wiper.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are experiencing a posterior vitreous detachment....

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

Please explain.

Dr. Rick :

This is a common event that happens in many people.

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

It is not a sign of a brain tumor, diabetes etc.

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

Is this a permanent thing?

Dr. Rick :

Yes...and no. The windshield thingie does not go away, but with time it will "sink" down inside your eye and out of your visual field. Also, you brain will "get used to it" and filter it out after a while. I've had one in my left eye for over 25 years and I very rarely even notice it anymore. Mine is most visible if I look up at a cloudy sky at dusk....

Dr. Rick :

And see, us retina doctors at justanswer don't abandon you just because you pay us early :o)

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

Wow. That is good to know. How much time?

Dr. Rick :

That is variable....few weeks, sometimes more....

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

I feel better, I think. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

But like I said above you should have an ophthalmologist check out your retina in the near future to make sure things are OK.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great 2011.

JACUSTOMER-58o6pw34- :

I will make an appt. right away.Happy new year. thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Don't forget to watch the Green Bay Packers kick some Bear Butt this afternoon!

Dr. Rick :

bye