Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello. I have some large floaters in my eye that have been

Customer Question

Hello. I have some large floaters in my eye that have been there for a3/4 days. I am also experiencing flashes of brilliant light in the corner, not very often. Seeing that nowhere is open for a couple of days should I go to my local A&E to check them out? No headaches or any knocks that could have caused them.
Janet
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to cha?

Dr. Rick :

chat?

Customer :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

do you notice any type of curtain or veil in you visual field?

Customer :

no - just dark floaters. They started off as clear "splashes" but now are dark.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to go to the A&E department. Just make an appointment with an ophthalmologist in the near future....(stay away from optometrists....ok, I'm biased....)

Customer :

Thank you - will visit one on Tuesday.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a great 2011

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k