Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my 4 day old baby doesnt seem to react when anything is put

Customer Question

my 4 day old baby doesn`t seem to react when anything is put in front of her eyes, or when a light is switched on and i`m very worried. i have put my hand very close but no reaction, can you advise me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Was your baby born full term? Does she have any medical problems? Can you please take a flashlight, briefly shine it into one of her eyes and then "swing" it back and forth between her eyes? Do her pupils get small? When you move the flashlight from her right eye to her left eye, the pupil in the left eye should already be small, even though the light was not shining into it. Is this what is happening with your baby's eyes?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room.

Dr. Rick :

I'm here to help you "live" with this very important question.

Dr. Rick :

Being a parent myself, although it's been quite some time since my kids were 4 days old ;-) , I suggest you have your daughter evaluated by a pediatric ophthalmologist. He will be able to fully evaluate her and determine if there is anything to be worried about.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k