Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

lasik..came down and his face is red; he says..sunburn..his vision

My 21 year old son was welding yesterday while wearing a pair of goggles like someone gets after lasik surgery. He just came down and his face is red; he says when he was welding it felt like he got a sunburn. His vision has been fine all day today but when he went to bed almost 3 hours ago he hasn't been able to sleep and when he got up, his vision is hazy. His eyes are watering in rooms with the lights on.

Hello and thanks for your question. I think despite wearing those Lasik goggles your son has had a welder's burn to the corneas. This is likely why his eyes are watering and also his vision is hazy. These kinds of goggles just aren't meant to provide the necessary protection for welding that the eyes require, unfortunately.

I would recommend that he start using cool compresses over both eyes as much as he desires but to also use artificial tears 4-5x/day in both eyes as well as a lubricating ophthalmic ointment in both eyes at night to help relieve his symptoms. If things do not significantly improve after 36-48 hours then he should go see his eye doctor to determine if there is any severe damage. Usually, however, these welding exposure incidents to the eyes resolve with expectant treatment such as this.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.