Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My uncle has a brain tumor that is inoperable causing double

Customer Question

My uncle has a brain tumor that is inoperable causing double vision in one eye if it is left uncovered with a patch. We have tried magic scotch tape on the glasses on one of the glasses side but that is now not effective. I feel if we had a simple idea, home remedy or trying something new since we have no other choice right now, that this could be an option. I am not sure what though.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

Hi Dr. James

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

How are you?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

did you receive my question regarding the double vision?

Dr. James :

Yes. Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Dr. James :

Hello?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

Sure

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

I understand

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

When one eye is covered, does the double vision go away?
Has he seen an eye doctor?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

Yes double vision goes away

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

he has been to wills eyes institute in philly

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

and is being treated now with sterotatic radiation

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

for a brain tumor he has currently

Dr. James :

There are temporary prisms which can be pasted onto his current glasses called Fresnel prisms. Has he tried those?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

he first started with prisms

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

I am not sure what type if they're are different prisms you can get

Dr. James :

Why is not able to continue to use the prisms?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

but he started with prisms then his eye sight worsened.. i think he has them on his glasses now

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

he has them still on the glasses

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

but they are not working

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

and keeps one eye shut w a patch

Dr. James :

It may need them to increase the power of the prism then.

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

he has tried this

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

i was wondering if there is anyway to imrpvoe

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

improve the vision

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

other then the prisms

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

and no surgery

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

they said surgery wont help at this point

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

cause the tumor is actually lying on the 4th ventricle

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

i mean there is nothing else you can do to try and improve without prism or surgery?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

he tried this "magic" scotch tape to put over the lens of one of the glasses

Dr. James :

It depends on the cause of the double vision. It appears the tumor is contributing to the double vision. So, the treatment of the double vision is the treat the tumor. To relieve the double vision, prisms are the best thing short of surgery.

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

so that is the only option of trying to cure the double vision

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

nothing else we can try or do that would be helpful?

Dr. James :

Have you heard of other home remedies?

Dr. James :

I believe you have tried all the options.

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

well he was using magic scotch tape(purple kind) . He would tape the scotch tape onto one side of the lens and that would cure the double vision. I have been in contact with other double vision patients who have tried this and it has corrected their vision. His vision has worsened cause of the tumor causing this to be effective.

Dr. James :

It appears the magic scotch tapes just blocks the vision in the one eye, similar to an eye patch.

Dr. James :

Am I correct?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

no he could still see out of the eye clearly

Dr. James :

So the purple magic scotch tape makes the double vision go away??

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

Scotch giftwrap tape

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

its a purple plaid

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

it did . but obviously when the symptoms worsened then he was unable to see.

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

symptoms of the tumor that is

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

which is causing the double vision

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

So i was wondering talking to any other experts to see if there is anything else out there.

Dr. James :

ok.

Dr. James :

It does this by blurring the vision in one eye, making the double vision go away.

Dr. James :

Hello?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

he could still see out of both eyes placing it vertical on the lens

Dr. James :

The prism?

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

over the back of the lens

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

scotch tape

Dr. James :

I still do not understand how scotch tape helps with the double vision.

For patients with double vision and who don't want surgery, prisms in the glasses are a good option. If not, then patching the eye is effective, but not the best solution.

Dr. James :

He also needs a repeat eye exam as the radiation for the brain tumor can sometimes effect the inside of the eyes.

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

the purple giftware scotch tape is put over one lens of the glasses. It is placed vertically over one side. This helps the double vision go away, and you can see out of both eyes correctively.

Dr. James :

That does not make any sense to me.

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

understandably

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

i thought the doctor was craΩy

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

who said for us to do this

JACUSTOMER-zyduoj3o- :

crazy

Dr. James :

Here is a link to the Fresnel stick-on prisms which come in different powers.

http://www.fresnel-prism.com/products/-3m-press-on-optics/

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

Dr. James :

Hello???

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.