Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eyes are blurry and unfocused......as if they arent working

My eyes are blurry and unfocused......as if they aren't working together. Each eye is ok when I block the other one but together are completely unfocused. Scary !!!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are having double vision. This can be from a number of causes. Do you take any medicine or have any medical problems?

Customer :

Yes.....quite a number of problems and quite a lot of medication

Dr. Rick :

ok....well, the doctors at the AE were correct in sending you to the eye hospital for eval.

Customer :

I'm worried that things may be going worse with having to wait so long before I see anyone

Dr. Rick :

Then most common cause of sudden onset double vision in a person your age is sixth nerve palsey. This is usually secondary to underlying high blood pressure or diabetes. The good news is that this usually resolves in a few months without any long term issues.

Customer :

My GP has just changed my blood pressure tablets. I had been taking them for about 5 days when this happened. Could this be the cause ??

Customer :

My blood pressure is ok though

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to tell if delaying until Tuesday will be a problem, however in most cases a few days delay in the diagnosis of the underlying cause is not a real problem. I think you will be ok

Dr. Rick :

No. A change in BP meds should not have caused this. The fact that you have high BP, even though it is treated, is what can lead to the microvascular changes that lead to the nerve palsy

Dr. Rick :

oops....you seem to have gone offline...

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
k