Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

hello, i banged the back of my head when i was coming out

hello, i banged the back of my head when i was coming out of my pickup truck.well about 2 days later i was at the doctors with bad neck pain and ended up in phyical therpy for a month which really helped but i'm still sore. I have been fighting this for 2 months now and now the vision in my right eye is doing strange things (blured vision,one time total darkness with light outling all objects) the doctor send me to get a cat scan which came back fine so they sent me to and eye doctor problem is on the day of my appoinment we had a really bad storm12/30/10 now I'm rescheduled for the 11th the vision problem are happing more often i'm concerned about waiting that long but can't get in any sooner.that's your take on the matter this this something i can afford to wait on?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

how hard did you bang your head? Did you get knocked out? Was any damage to your neck seen on CT scan? What medicines do you take and what medical problems do you have?

Customer :

I hit it well enough to say a few choice words but it didn't knock me out i take alot of different meds advair, pravastatin, singular, quinap/hctz, nexium citalopram. x-ray for neck came back good as did the cat scan for my brain

Dr. Rick :

hi

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are experiencing a vascular problem with the eye. The most common cause is from cholesterol or platelet plaques coming loose from your carotid artery in your neck and sending "clots" into your retina

Customer :

wow that doesn't sound very good

Dr. Rick :

Your fall could have started the issue. Also, if there was hyperextension of your neck you could have damaged the wall of your carotid artery, causing a tear of one of the lining layers. These type of injuries do not really show up on cat scan.

Dr. Rick :

No. You are correct. It can be serious depending upon the exact cause of your amarousis fugax

Customer :

that could be every muscle in my neck and shoulders,chest hurt bad at one point as i said i'm still sore

Dr. Rick :

You should try to get hold of your ophthalmologist and tell her you really want to be seen right away. A complete eye exam is necessary in your case -- the sooner the better.

Dr. Rick :

Going to the ER and being evaluated by a regular doctor really is of little value, unless they could get an ophthalmologist to come in and see you....

Customer :

Thanks so much .I'm sure I will have to wait untill monday.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. My pleasure. Just make them understand that you really want to get in Monday. They should be able to accommodate you -- I always leave space in my schedule for emergencies.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good weekend, try not to worry and enjoy the new year.

Customer :

Thanks again you have been very helpful

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k