Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am currently on holiday and not close to an eye specialist.

Customer Question

I am currently on holiday and not close to an eye specialist. I got an eye infection for the past week now. I have a watery discharge and my eye llid is swollen and it is getting painful. I am on my second set of antibiotics - Augmentin and the doctor prescribed Zymar and Spersalierg. My eye just get worse and the glands in my neck are also swollen. I would really appreciate some advice.
Dr MG Steyn
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

This frequently causes painful eyelid swelling and, as you have already learned, is not treated with antibiotics. Try the above therapy and I believe you will notice an improvement.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. My other eye also has the same symptoms, although not so bad. The areas underneath my eyes are also swollen - like an allergic reaction. Should I still follow your advice with the baby shampoo?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes. The baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to remove any allergens that could be contributing to your discomfort. If needed you could take some OTC allergy medicine such as Zyrtec or benedryl.

Enjoy you vacation and have a happy 2011!