Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I just cut my eye with my nail. There is blood pooling in the

I just cut my eye with my nail. There is blood pooling in the corner of my eye. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

i am an ophthalmologist

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Customer :

Yes, my partner cut her eye with her nail while trying to clean something. The blood is pooling in her eye.

Dr. PG :

kindly let me know whether the cut is on the eyelid or in the white part of the eye?

Customer :

It's im the white part of tne eye

Dr. PG :

ok

Dr. PG :

when did she get the injury?

Dr. PG :

was it today or a couple of days back?

Customer :

About 45 minutes ago

Dr. PG :

ok

Dr. PG :

from the description given by you, it seems she has damaged the conjunctiva of her eye (thin memebrane on the white portion of her eye)

Dr. PG :

that is why she is having the bleeding

Dr. PG :

usually a conjunctival tear heals slowly without any surgical intervention

Dr. PG :

but the point of concern is that rarely the deeper tissue i.e. sclera also can be damaged

Dr. PG :

in that case a surgical repair is needed

Dr. PG :

she would need to be seen by a doctor/ophthalmologist as soon as possible

Customer :

So what should we do now? We're actually on vacation in Paris and could go to a French doctor if we need to

Dr. PG :

yes, i would advise you to see a doctor

Customer :

We can get an opthamolgist this afternoon. Do you think it's okay to wait until thern? Otherwise we have to go to the emergency room which could take hours.

Dr. PG :

because she would need sntibiotic eye drops even if a surgical intervention is not needed

Dr. PG :

yes, no problem to wait till afternoon

Dr. PG :

she can take a painkiller in the meantime

Dr. PG :

to make her comfortable

Customer :

Okay, do you think this is serious?

Dr. PG :

if any lubricating eye drops are available in the nearest pharmacy like refresh tears/optive/systane etc, then she can instill those eye drops for some comfort

Dr. PG :

most probably, does not seem anything serious

Dr. PG :

but since i am not able to examine the patient first hand, i cannot be 100% sure

Customer :

Okay, thanks. I'll go to the pharmacy and see what they say. Do you think the lubricating drops are necessary? I'm concerned that if I get the wrong ones for her there could be a problem.

Customer :

Also, she's feeling some pressure in her eye. A problem? Should she lay down and keep her eyes covered until we can get her to a doctor.

Dr. PG :

lubricating eye drops will only help her in some comfort

Dr. PG :

but if you want to wait, you can do that also till she is seen by an ophthalmologist

Dr. PG :

the pressure is mostly due to the injury

Dr. PG :

it would be best to close her eye and lie down

Customer :

Okay, is that it?

Dr. PG :

yes

Dr. PG :

hoep she gets well soon and able to enjoy the rest of her holiday

Customer :

Thanks so much. This was very helpful.

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)