Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Late at night I have recently felt a burning sensation in my

Customer Question

Late at night I have recently felt a burning sensation in my left eye. The eye then tears up. and when I wipe away the tear the sensation abates, but soon returns. After a few more wipes it is usually gone. What are the likely causes of this problem? Do I need to see an opthalmalogist? is there some remedy I can try myself at home?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you eyes itch at all, or just tear and burn?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

HI

Dr. Rick :

Hello. Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

I can't see anything you are typing

JACUSTOMER-tipud0ln- :

Yes. No itching. Just tear and burn

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. Dry eyes and blepharitis. There might be a small allergic component too, but it is hard to tell. That is not a problem as we can address all the issues at once with the same at-home therapy.

JACUSTOMER-tipud0ln- :

great. What should I do?

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Remember....don't give too early on this treatment. Give it at least 3 weeks to "kick in", maybe even a few more weeks.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-tipud0ln- :

what's the beginning of this response?It seems to start in the middle

Dr. Rick :

What happened? Did it not all come through? There may be a problem with the chat system....

Dr. Rick :

Do you want me to switch to the Q&A system and re-send the data, or try to send it again here on chat? We can do it either way.

Dr. Rick :

sorry about that....the system must have gremlins again :)

JACUSTOMER-tipud0ln- :

Either way. whatever works

Dr. Rick :

ok. Let's try it here as chat is faster....let me know how it works.

Dr. Rick :

JACUSTOMER-tipud0ln- :

Now it starts with. "the skin on you eyelids..."

Dr. Rick :

weird. the entire thing shows up here. Ok. I'll switch to Q&A and resend. To "chat" with each other on this system an email is sent back and forth each time we hit "send" It is slower, but looks like chat isn't gonna work. I'll report the problem to the powers that be. See you on the Q&A system

Dr. Rick :

I'll wait as I see you are typing right now

JACUSTOMER-tipud0ln- :

Thanks

Dr. Rick :

ok...here we go...

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Hope that worked. Let me know. I'm here online with you...
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
did you get the entire thing that time? Does it make sense to you or do you have more questions?

If you are OK with the above, have a wonderful Holiday Season and I hope you feel better soon.